1.31.2007

How does she not sleep?

For Christmas I got Ella a digital Dora watch. She doesn't seem to have as much of a concept of time as of accessories, but I can understand that. Long ago, Ella gave up naps. I have finally decided to take rest time back. Mommy needs it. So I give her the watch, and a post-it with the time on it that she has to wait until before she can get out of bed. I've thought of setting timers, but then won't the timer wake her up if she falls asleep? So for 2 days, we've done the watch. I gave her 30 minutes yesterday that she had to stay in bed quietly. Today was 45. She came out a minute ago whispering, "Mom! It's 1:45." So I went in to check her watch, 1:25. I tell her she still has 20 minutes to lay down. So Ella lays down, staring at her watch. How can she possibly stare at a watch for 20 minutes and not fall asleep (which is my true goal)? Time will tell....

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you taking back quiet time! Every mother needs it...especially if she's a "stay at home mom". I must say that Ella is way more advanced than Lily; could it be the first born vs. baby of the family? I like the idea. Here's what I do: I tell them I'm going to shut the bedroom door and they can get up when they see that it is open. Again, trying to eliminate the timer/noise thing which COULD wake them if they finally drop off. I do have to be careful to set a timer for ME so that I don't exasperate them by forgetting that they are up there and not ever opening their door....Happy Quiet Time! Oh, by the way, I like the new look :)